The Social Housing Regulatory Authority (the"SHRA") was established in August 2010 by the Minister of Human Settlements in terms of the Social Housing Act, No. 16 of 2008. The SHRA is classified as a public entity in terms of Schedule 3A of the Public Finance Management Act.
The SHRA will regulate and invest to deliver affordable rental homes and renew communities.
Affordable rental homes in integrated urban environments through sustainable institutions.
- Promote the development and awareness of social housing by providing an enabling environment for the growth and development of the social housing sector.
- Provide advice and support to the Department of Human Settlements in its development of policy for the social housing sector and facilitate national social housing programmes
- Provide best practice information and research on the status of the social housing sector
- Support provincial governments with the approval of project applications by social housing institutions
- Provide assistance, when requested, with the process of the designation of restructuring zones
- Enter into agreements with provincial governments and the National Housing Finance Corporation to ensure the co-ordinated exercise of powers