Eastern Cape province has developed an economic growth and development strategy for the region and it is into this wider strategy that Buffalo City has developed its own spatial development plans and agencies. Buffalo City has established the Beach Development Agency who are responsible for the development and regeneration of certain parts of the city.
The Urban Development Zone (full description to be found at here) will form part of a range of interventions that will entice capital into areas of the city that need it as part of the cities overall IDP (please see link below). These include Quigney and its surrounding areas. An advantage that Buffalo City has over its competitors for both national and international investment is that it provides a "world-class coastal precinct". A map of the designated area can be found below.
References and Resources
- Buffalo City, 2005: Buffalo City, UDZs, Reference Link
- Buffalo City, 2005: 2005/6 IDP, Reference Link
- Eastern Cape Development Corporation, 2004: Provincial Growth and Development Plan (PGDP), Reference Link
- Government Gazette, 2005: Government Gazette, Vol. 474, No. 27077, 10th December 2005, Reference Link
- Mabindla, N., 2005: Development Zone gets government nod of approval, Buffalo City News, 5th January 2005, Reference Link
- Mabindla, N., 2005: Budget focuses on the future, Buffalo City News, 27th May 2005, Reference Link
- Sowetan Reporter, 2004: Big tax breaks for city investors, The Sowetan, 17th December 2004.